Meet the Teacher


Tell us a little something about you...

I'm Erica and am a 4th grade ELA teacher. I have been married for seven years and have three boys. My twin boys began PreK-3 today and were not happy campers when we left them. They were kicking and screaming for us not to leave. It was heartbreaking. Patrick Jr. who is 4 begins Prek-4 on Wednesday. He insists he is going to be strong and not cry. I think I may do some crying for both of us. My boys are growing up! I am currently in my last semester of Grad School and can't wait for graduation. I will have my Masters in Educational Leadership and Technology in December. Yeah!!!

How long have you been teaching?

I am going into my ninth year teaching. I began teaching 4th/5th grade Math, Science and Social Studies for 2 1/2 years. Then, I decided to get my English as a Second Language Certification, due to my love for teaching English Language Learners. The following year I moved into an ELL position and stayed there for 3 years until I was bumped. For the last three years, I have been teaching 4th grade ELA and love every minute of it. I still have my ELLs!

You might not know...

1. I drink half a cup of coffee every morning in a Mardi Gras cup. I never finish the whole thing!

2. I spend at least 2 hours a night on my computer reading blogs, posting, tweeting, reading emails,and reading status updates on Facebook.

3. I won a Technology grant for this coming school year and am anxiously awaiting my equipment.

What are you looking most forward to this school year?

I am looking forward to helping all my students succeed. I am looking forward to all of my students building their comprehension and fluency. I am looking forward to them all passing the state test in April. I am looking forward to all their smiles and cheers at the end of the year when they move on to 5th grade. These are the things I am looking forward too!!!

What do you need to improve?

First, I would like to accomplish the Daily 5 and Cafe. So far it is going very well! After coaching students through each component I would like to eventually allow them choice during the week, with set expectations.

Next, I would like to improve upon the technology products my students complete. My goal is for students to finish 4th grade with an electronic portfolio of products created throughout the year.


What teaching supplies can you *not* live without?

I can not live without my Interactive White board. My pen started acting up today and the kids told me I could just right on the board since it would be easier. What??? I had to get this fixed. So, within 5 minutes I had my pen working again.

I also could not live without my laptop which hooks up to my Interactive white board and provides all of my lessons and flipcharts. I am lost without it!


Head over to Blog Hoppin' to link up!

No comments

Back to Top