Motivating with Movies

How exciting is it for a teacher when students are actively engaged in a lesson, ready to learn and all eyes focused on what is next. Well that is the reaction I received when I showed a short clip Of "Oktapodi"
The focus of the lesson was I can analyze the setting and the character's emotions by asking myself Does the character's emotion change as a result of the setting?

Students begin by watching the short clip of the movie. Then, they watched it again, but I stopped periodically throughout for students to turn and talk to their partner to discuss the setting and a word they would use to describe the character's emotions. Finally, as a review students were distributed graphic organizers to fill in on the Main Idea, Character Traits or Sequencing. All previous skills taught. They worked with a partner to complete. Here are a few pictures of students deep in thought and working collaboratively.


No comments

Back to Top